Thursday, December 13, 2012

Play Project: Day Two

List at least three EVENTS that happened in your setting that were important to the time period you picked. You may have to look around the date (include a decade or earlier in a century) in order to find an appropriate event.
For example: If I chose 1898 as my date, I might list these events: The Spanish/American War begins, Hawaii becomes a state, and the Austrian Empress Elizabeth is assassinated. I could have listed a variety of events, including Madame Curie's discovery of radium, but the first three are fine.
In my dialogue, I might want to have my characters talk about these things as topics of conversation. These events, if presented well, can also form or create a THEME and MESSAGE for my play. Also, real events might suggest a conflict for my characters. The more I know about my SETTING, the more detailed I can be in my writing!

Next: follow steps 1-5 from last class. When you have completed these steps, you are ready to being writing. Go on to step 6.

6. Create 2-5 characters that might be found in the setting you chose. For each character provide a few sentences to describe the character. Use characterization: details or physical description, actions that the character might do, a name, something the character would say about him/herself, something OTHER people might say about the character, etc. Put your notes in your journal.

7. When you have 2-5 characters designed, you are ready to start your play. Using your research, the setting, and the character list, begin writing a play.

8. Use the events from your research to consider a theme for your play. There are typically four themes in most literature:
A. Love
B. Death
C. Life
D. Nature
9. Choose one of these themes to start with. Then add a MESSAGE to your theme. For example: "I believe that love can conquer any horrible event." Most messages a writer might try to make in his/her writing can be created by completing this sentence: "I believe..." 

If this example is my theme (love) and message (love can overcome horrible events), my play's plot will ultimately show how love can survive, even if the characters are stuck in a bad situation. If my setting was 1898, for example, perhaps I would set my play during the Spanish/American War where my protagonist is saying good-bye to his true love, promising he'll return at the end of the war. Use your theme and message in the dialogue of your play.

10. Write. Check the handout for the proper playscript format we will be using for the rest of our play projects until you graduate.

HOMEWORK: None.

No comments:

The Graveyard Book - Discussion Questions

  In your discussion groups, please answer 5 of the 10 discussion questions. Choose a member of your group to record your answers. Make sure...