Tuesday, February 3, 2009

The Artistic Impulse & Response

Please read the handout, Scott McCloud's comic strip about "art." While he is primarily discussing visual arts, the same philosophy applies to writing. Take notes in your journal. Pinpoint or record questions that arise in the artistic process, or personal comments that you would like to examine. We will discuss the article in period 4 in room a240.

When you finish reading and responding to Scott McCloud's graphics, please write a short personal response to the following question. Please answer ALL parts of the question; it has two essential parts:

What is your 4-year goal concerning creative writing and the arts. Why did you enter this program (be honest, the idea is to "discover" truth through writing about it) and where do you want to take your writing in the next four years? (i.e. what is your long term goal concerning creative writing?)

Second part: What is your relationship with reading? What sorts of literary genres do you prefer? If you don't read, why not? If you do, what helps you read? If you are a skilled reader, what do you think caused you to be skilled? If you are a weak reader, why do you think you are a weak reader? Explore the concept of reading.

Please print out your response with your name on it, and turn it in for credit. Realize that incomplete work results in lower grades, etc. Learn to use lab time efficiently.

4 comments:

monica35002 said...

First part: I am not sure of my four-year goal as a creative writter. I entered the program because I thought this was what I wanted to be when I got older, possibly an author or poet. But I feel I lack the qualities of a "writter".

Second part: I enjoy reading very much. I prefer to read books with suspense, mystery, and a little romance. Something that can grab my attention and keep me hooked into the story. I think I'm a skilled reader because I do it so much that I've become better at it. I not only read and understand the books, I can create an image in my head and pretend I'm in the situation.

Whitney said...

First Part:
My four year goal concerning creative writing is hopefully getting one of my poems or short stories published. I mean I guess I don't plan to make creative writing my occupation when I'm older but it would be good to have this as a skill in life. I entered this program because it was basically the only major I really knew so I decided to audition for it. But necessarily, my long term goal doesn't concern creative writing.
Second Part:
My relationship with reading is kind of complicated. I'll read a book only if I find it interesting, it's very difficult to get myself into a book. I prefer mystery genres and books that include surprises that keep me hooked. I like books I can relate to. I dont really like to read, I used to though. I guess I've become lazy and don't really have that time to pick up a book on my own time and it's very hard for me to find a book that I'm interested in. I think I'm a weak reader because I've become lazy and I need to read more to improve my work in creative writing.

luvshay_shay said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
luvshay_shay said...

Part One: I'm not sure what my four year goal is but i'm sure that as time moves on i will figure it out. my main focus is to become a better writter. The reason why i enetered this program was because i really wanted to attend this school but my only choices was Vocal or Writing. I was going to audition for vocal but i don like singing in front of people so my other choice was writing. Throught these 4 years i really want to become a better writter especially when it comes to my grammar and structure


Part Two: I really do like reading if it is something that catches my attention. I dont like reading reading really old books or books that take place in the 1800's. I love reading comedy, mystery, and horror books. Its easy for me to read when i'm all alone and its completely silent because my mind wanders easily. I'm a good reader but because i get distracted easily it takes me a longer time to read

The Graveyard Book - Discussion Questions

  In your discussion groups, please answer 5 of the 10 discussion questions. Choose a member of your group to record your answers. Make sure...