Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Word Bank Exercise 9-16

Creating a word bank for poetry

Go to the following website:

http://www.loc.gov/poetry/180

Read poems #11-20. As you read, choose 3 words from EACH poem and make a list. (The best way to do this is either in your journal – where you will get credit; or you may keep a word document open and minimized on the bottom of your screen to collect the words).
Choose interesting or “powerful” words—words that draw YOUR attention; the best 3 single words in the poem. Avoid phrases.

Once you have a list with 30 words, use your word bank to create a poem of your own.
• You DO NOT have to use all 30 words in your poem.
• Your poem should make sense. Try to avoid sentence fragments. (Consider character, setting, theme, conflict, etc.)
• You may include as many OTHER words as you’d like.

1 comment:

Jerry Figueroa said...

Where Am I?

Disengage from age and go into a divine world,
I hear a murmur telling me to classify the things I want,
I walk into this world and I see an elf wearing a smolder weskit,
Walking around on the blue and white loops that looks like clouds,
Where am I?
This place isn’t so splendor,
All of all sudden that elf renders into a man,
The smolder weskit disperses and renders into a jerkin,
Where am I?
I quickly tailor to seeing the man,
The man tells me the follow him or I will descend,
You are living life the amiss way said the guy,
Your absurdity isn’t therapeutic,
You’re getting worse,
I want you to forage who I am,
Forage where you are,
Think to yourself,
Where am I?

The Graveyard Book - Discussion Questions

  In your discussion groups, please answer 5 of the 10 discussion questions. Choose a member of your group to record your answers. Make sure...